It took a nation of Business Niner alumni, faculty, staff and friends to raise more than $89,000 during Niner Nation Gives, UNC Charlotte’s 49-hour digital fundraising campaign held March 27-29.
- The Belk College raised $89,000+ from more than 240 gifts (and counting) in 49 hours to support funds like the Dean’s Excellence Fund, the Belk College Alumni Scholarship fund, and the Clyde and Deon Ritchie Staff Award.
- UNC Charlotte surpassed its fundraising goal to raise more than $3 million.
- Two Belk College faculty and staff ambassadors spurred more than 40 Belk College faculty and staff to participate in the annual 49-hour event.
- Business Niner alumni and friends secured an additional $27,000 for the College, bringing the total to more than $89,000, by answering the call to make individual gifts and engage with social media posts to unlock eight challenge gifts during #NinerNationGives.
- So far the Belk College has raised $11,000 more than in 2022 during Niner Nation Gives.
“Business Niners stepped up to the plate this year for Niner Nation Gives,” said Dean Jennifer Troyer. “The generous support from alumni, faculty, staff and friends goes directly to student scholarships and other areas of need in our College. Thank you for helping us prepare the next generation of business leaders and professionals.”
This year’s giving priorities included two student scholarships, as well as a new fund:
- Belk College Alumni Scholarship Fund: Established by the Belk College Alumni Council in 2014, the fund helps to fuel the next generation of business leaders, one scholarship at a time.
- Belk College Dean's Excellence Fund: Our most flexible resource supports student success through scholarships and life-changing engagement experiences. The fund also helps the college attract and retain top educators and provides technology to support teaching and research.
- The Clyde and Deon Ritchie Staff Award: The Clyde and Deon Ritchie Staff Award will recognize Belk College staff members who have exhibited passion and dedication to the college during their time at UNC Charlotte. This fund will be endowed, allowing us to recognize and award exceptional Belk College staff members for years to come.
The College took to social media to spread the word about #NinerNationGives and communicate eight giving challenges. Dean Troyer opened the campaign with the Dean’s Matching Challenge, which matched gifts dollar-for-dollar up to $5,000. Alumni and friends met the challenge in under 30 minutes.
These challenges unlocked $27,000 in additional funding for the College, bringing the total to more than $89,000:
- Better Together Scholarship Match Challenge from MSRE alumni James Scruggs '19 and Liz Ward '14 ($10,000).
- #BusinessNiners Social Media Challenge from the Belk College Alumni Council ($2,500).
- Women in Business Match Challenge from the Belk College Alumni Council ($1,000).
- Dean’s Excellence Fund Match Challenge from the Belk College Alumni Council ($1,500).
- Turner School of Accountancy Match Challenge from alumnus Joe Hanel ’84 ($4,000).
- Faculty/Staff Match Challenge from a longtime member of the Belk College ($2,000).
- Second Faculty/Staff Match Challenge from a longtime member of the Belk College ($1,000).
- Dean’s Matching Challenge from Dean Jennifer Troyer ($5,000).
Alumni and friends are encouraged to support the Belk College year round and join the College for alumni and business community events and programs.